Get to know Dakota Jones
- Birth Date:
- Place of Birth:
- Current Home town:
- Primary Race Distance:
50 miles, 100 miles
- Other hobbies or sports:
- What MHW/ Montrail gear and clothing is in your quiver for a typical day at/ on the [ trail, hill, on long runs]?
Rogue Racers, ultrarefuel short, Way2Cool shirt.
- How were you introduced to your sport?
The Hardrock 100 in 2008. I volunteered at an aid station and was completely blown away by what I saw. I ran my first 50k six months later.
- What inspires you?
Big mountains and wild places. Other people doing amazing things, both physically and intellectually. The best are when those are intertwined, when people accomplish goals that require huge physical strength and extreme mental prowess.
- Which athletes or other individuals have been your biggest source of inspiration?
I feel silly answering this because I know lots of these guys, but: Kyle Skagg’s Hardrock CR is one of the most incredible athletic achievements I have ever heard of. Alex Lowe’s passion for the mountains was inspiring. Reinhold Messner’s achievements in mountaineering are unparalleled. Kilian Jornet’s sheer raw talent is, actually, kind of infuriating. He’s too good. I need to be better because of him. That’s the power of these athletes. But far and away my biggest inspiration is my parents.
- What advice would you give to newcomers to (your sport) today?
Enjoy it. I got into the sport with an intense burning passion and trained extremely hard to accomplish my goals, but over time I’ve found that longevity requires tempering that passion, consciously containing it so that it lasts long term, instead of blowing out after a few hard efforts.
- What’s your favorite pre race meal?
The endangered Giant Panda, raw.
- How do you balance your training schedule with your “real” job?
By trying to find a real job. My white picket fence isn’t going to build itself!
- Do you have any pre-race/ pre-competition rituals?
Worrying needlessly and staring wide-eyed at the floor.
- In 10 years I hope to be…
- Six-word bio:
Seriously guys, relax, it’s under control
- When singing karaoke, what song do you sing to bring down the house?
Eazy-E: No More ?’s
- What music gets you fired up?
Indie rock, folk rock, bluegrass, metal and dubstep (sometimes)
- If you were a super hero, who would you be?
Captain Clever Answer! (Because I don’t have one for this question, alright?)
- San Juan Solstice 50 mile – June 2010 – Lake City, CO – 1st
- Hardrock 100 – July 2011 – Silverton, CO – 2nd
- TNF Endurance Challenge 50 mile – December 2011 – Marin County, CA – 2nd
- Grand Canyon Double Crossing Record – Nov. 2011 – 42 miles – 6:53
Catch Up With Dakota On: